Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cutting 1/2" thick aluminum bars on a budget?

"JBL" wrote in message
news
On 06/25/2017 03:35 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 13:56:31 -0400, JBL wrote:

On 06/25/2017 01:45 PM,
wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:13:21 -0400, JBL wrote:

I am attempting to make a few "dovetails" which are brackets
used to
attach a telescope to a telescope mount. If purchased outright,
for the
kind of dovetails I need, the expense is beyond my budget. I
recently
acquired some 1/2" aluminum sheet/ bar. The dovetail needs to
be 1.75"
wide at the base, with the sides cut at a 15 degree angle.
Length can
vary a bit, but usually about 12-14". My plan was to make at
least 3
for the various telescopes I have.

I thought I'd be able to get away with an old circular table saw
I had.
Last week, I made some 1/4" thick dovetails of a slightly
different
design using my table saw fitted with a plywood blade. This
went well,
but when I tried to make these thicker 1/2" dovetails today, I
ended up
burning out my saw.

Ideas for a cheap way to make these dovetails would be welcome.
I've
been watching Craigslist for another circular to replace the
burned out
one, but I don't think it's the best tool for this job without a
$30
plus blade made to cut metal and even then I'm not sure it will
do it.

Thanks in advance for your help,
John
2 words. Band Saw.

Would you happen to know what size band saw? A neighbor has a 10"
saw
with 1/8 to 1/4" blades I could borrow.

How good does the finish need to be? You could use a vertical band
saw
but the finish won't be very good, not really good enough for a
sliding fit if that's what you're looking for. But if you just need
the angle for retaining then a bandsaw would be a fast and easy way
cut the aluminum. You will need to make some sort of fixturing to
hold
the aluminum at the correct angle and width. You could also use a
carbide router bit with a rub collar if you have a router. Carbide
router bits are great, they last a very long time compared to the
HSS
ones and are not very expensive.
Eric

I just recently picked up a Craftsman router table, but no router
yet. I've never seen a router in use or used one myself and I have
started checking videos on the topic. At some point, I'll pick up a
used router.

I suspected the band saw might be a bit problematic for the long
angled cuts I needed unless I added a fence maybe... I'm just going
to go with the carbide blade the others mentioned, go much more
slowly and add small amounts of cutting depth at a time using the
table saw. I managed to find a cheap Craig's List replacement over
the weekend. I tried to salvage the prior saw, but motor windings
tested open for continuity and a replacement motor was far more than
I paid for the saw, so just cheaper to get another used one.

If you go asking for a used motor, this is called a Resilient mount.
http://www.electricmotorwholesale.co...THON-A279.html
-jsw