Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] hubops@ccanoemail.ca is offline

Default basement floor

The water problem might be something simple. Does all the
ground surrounding the house slope away from the house? It could have
settled over the years. Even a few inches right against the foundation
will matter.

How would a grading issue only cause melting snow water to enter the basement
but not heavy rain water? I'm not saying it's not a grading issue, just curious as to
how it would cause the symptoms that Leza is experiencing.

Ice & xnow builds up on the ground and forms an ice dam -
perhaps from foot traffic - even if only a few inches deep -
it might affect the natural run-off during the springtime melts -
creating a puddle near the foundation which has nowhere to go
but down. If the homeowner monitors the sump pump activity
- it will provide a good time to examine all the various
basement wetness causes - hence solutions.
As suggested - foundation grading is a common culprit.
A couple times over the years when I've seen some winter puddling
near my foundation - I've hacked a small run-off trench into the ice
with a pick-ax, just in case.
John T.