Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cutting 1/2" thick aluminum bars on a budget?

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 13:48:12 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 00:02:59 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I have cut aluminum with circular saws, both hand held and table. The
key is to use carbide tipped blades. I'm pretty sure that your plywood
blade was not carbide.

It will not cut aluminum as fast as it cuts wood (duh?) - so don't force
it. You can also make multiple passes, starting with the blade low and
raising it each pass.

It is much harder on the blade's sharpness than wood is (another duh),
so I keep a separate blade for aluminum.

and wear a full leather suit and a full face mask. Those aluminum
chips are HOT and SHARP and they fly EVERYWHERE. Also make sure to
protect the motor so NO chips can get into it.(Here is where a belt
drive saw with a totallt enclosed motor is highlt recommended!!!)
Yes, experience talking!

Yeah, I --much-- prefer hack and bandsaws for cutting aluminum for
that very reason.

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my