Posted to alt.home.repair
Taxed and Spent Taxed and Spent is offline

Default Plat Coordinates "(Typical)"?

On 6/25/2017 3:54 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 4:25:16 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 06/25/2017 2:13 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 12:11:57 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent
wrote:
Are the patios on lot lines? I doubt it. If not, this is the
surveyor saying "I really don't care, since it is not defining a
lot line".

The Plat does show dimensions of each patio, to the nearest tenth of
a foot. There is no "(typical)" recorded under these dimensions.
Several patios actual dimensions are much larger than what the Plat
shows.

So where, again, _is_ this "typical" notation if not on the aforesaid plat?

He said its on the plat. Reading it again, it sounds like the "typical" applies to the offset for a patio relative to an unknown point. Simplest thing would be to go ask whoever drew it up.

Some disputes have arisen. This is because the Plats give one
boundary but the reality on the ground is different. The
association's general counsel has stated there are liability
concerns.Like a slip and fall on
a portion of one of the patios that per the plats, encroaches on
common area. The attorney was emphatic that no homeowner's patio
could be enlarged to encroach on the common area.

Liability for whom? I see none other than that of the single owner who
broke the covenant and enlarged his patio -- unless, of course, the HOA
approved such an action in contravention to the covenants; that could
make those who participated in such parties.

He cited a slip and fall, where who is responsible for the patio would be an issue. But practically, I don't see it as a problem either. The HOA should have insurance as should condo owners, if someone falls, let the two insurance companies resolve it.

I see it as a problem. If I am a member of the HOA, I don't want my HOA
fees going up due to increased insurance premiums because it is argued
the extra large patio encroaching on the common area is the HOA
responsibility.