Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default basement floor

On Sunday, June 25, 2017 at 3:31:01 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/25/2017 2:53 PM, leza wang wrote:
Hi

The floor of my basement use to be covered by a carpet and underneath it a vinyl tiles. I removed both of them. I am not sure what the floor is made from. Not sure if it is cement of something else. My house was build in 1926.

I took a picture of this floor. you can see it here

http://tinypic.com/r/243nccm/9

My question, do you know from that pic which kind of floor is that (cement or something else). Also any recommendation how to keep it nice. Any material I can put it to clean it, make it better looking, shining etc. I had to remove both the carpet and vinyl because of the water.

Thanks a lotl.

Looks like concrete, just marked up from the tiles. You can tap it with
a hammer and it should be very hard and have a sound of solid. Thump a
concrete wall for an example.

Is the water problem solved? If so, I'd put a cheap laminate floor
down. It will look good and be fairly easy to clean.

Looks like concrete to me too. Painting it is one option. It keeps dust down and will make it look nicer. Also depends on what it will be used for. And as someone else posted, make sure the water problem is really solved first.