Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JBL JBL is offline

Default cutting 1/2" thick aluminum bars on a budget?

On 06/25/2017 09:50 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017 07:05:06 -0400, JBL wrote:

On 06/25/2017 12:45 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:13:21 -0400, JBL wrote:

I am attempting to make a few "dovetails" which are brackets used to
attach a telescope to a telescope mount. If purchased outright, for the
kind of dovetails I need, the expense is beyond my budget. I recently
acquired some 1/2" aluminum sheet/ bar. The dovetail needs to be 1.75"
wide at the base, with the sides cut at a 15 degree angle. Length can
vary a bit, but usually about 12-14". My plan was to make at least 3
for the various telescopes I have.

Now is the perfect time to learn how to _really_ use a file. This is
your cheapest option and the best way to learn a necessary skill. (Now
watch you scoff at it.)

Nope, you just completely ignored it. Same, same, so solly.

Completely ignored what? Using a file to achieve the necessary 15
degree angles on both sides of the aluminum. Even you expected I would
"scoff at it" which I did. What was the point anyway?

I thought I'd be able to get away with an old circular table saw I had.
Last week, I made some 1/4" thick dovetails of a slightly different
design using my table saw fitted with a plywood blade. This went well,
but when I tried to make these thicker 1/2" dovetails today, I ended up
burning out my saw.

(Burned out your saw? Nasty comments about your IQ suppressed, but
most people know when to quit.) HSS plywood blades won't hack it. Try
carbide.

I was under the impression that the Craftsman I was using just might
have some sort of thermal protection circuit. Unfortunately, turns out
that it did not. It wasn't a huge loss though as I got it surplus.

I see that you did not learn the lesson from that experience.
You're on your own.

What lesson? The saw was burned out yesterday, period. Nothing else
has been done until I researched further, which was the primary reason
for coming to this group.

Ideas for a cheap way to make these dovetails would be welcome. I've
been watching Craigslist for another circular to replace the burned out
one, but I don't think it's the best tool for this job without a $30
plus blade made to cut metal and even then I'm not sure it will do it.

Drop by Harbor Freight and get some $5 carbide tipped blades. Oops,
they no longer make the cheapies. (Kids are screwing it up, bigtime.)
Too bad. 46231 and 00529 are some I still keep in stock. Depending on
the alloy, these C3 tips can leave a rough cut, but some alloys cut
cleanly. Avanti 10" x 60T blades are $15 at Home Depot. Cut the
angle and file the bottom corner. Or regrind the teeth to 15. This is
if you were overstating the burnout of the table saw motor. sigh

Yes, I don't see those blades listed at HF.

What part of "Oops, they no longer make the cheapies." did you miss?

Got it. GOT IT. Do YOU get it?

I assume you mean this one from HD:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-10...200X/202021698

No, I don't ever use "plywood" blades, preferring a dull box cutter to
those. (that was a joke)

Now for that I stand corrected. The link I asked about above was not
the link for the blade you were referring to for $15. Can our precious
Larry forgive the oversight? Me thinks not and me doesn't give a rats
you know what anyway.

The one I used during the burnout was this one:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-10...-202021698-_-N

I guess $5 more might have saved the saw. Ok, guess I'll start over
looking for another surplus saw and pick up the better blade and try
again. Thanks!

No, learning to stop trying when a blade isn't cutting is the lesson
you fail to learn. If it's not working, stop and determine what is
wrong. Check the sharpness of the blade, verify rotation, verify
applicability, etc. Plywood blades don't work on metal. Got it?

You're either a troll or not a tool-using human. G'luck!

If you weren't prepared for additional questions for what you perceived
as obviously a newcomer, then you shouldn't have responded in the first
place. Fortunately, I don't have time to sit here and argue with a has
been and I am now adding you to my kill file so I will see no more
give people a break. You remind me of a serious narcissist that
probably has some significant issues going on at home that warrant
serious attention. What a pity that this is the only channel you have
to vent your frustrations.... but it will no longer be at my expense.
BYE!

--
The Federal budget is a complex document. However, working
for a President committed to keeping his promises means my