Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim GM4DHJ ... Jim GM4DHJ ... is offline

Default Memories - old technology

"Graham." wrote in message
On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:47:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Internet and DAB both take an age to get going. The big advantage of
the
simple AM/FM transistor radio is that it runs a long time on
batteries.

as the advert SHOULD say.... if you love radio don't buy a DAB .......

Another black and white type.

I have DAB in the car. In general, *reception* is far superior to AM or FM
in the SE of England.

It's very interesting to ask a DAB hater to tell which recording he is
listening to of something simulcast on DAB and FM. Provided you sync them
up and match the levels.

I did just that with a chunk of R2 from FM, DAB and FreeView. A panel of
10 'experts' gave almost entirely random results. But I'd guess even they
might have heard a difference with AM.

Jim's was just an off the cuff remark, he didn't even say what was
wrong with DAB in his opinion, perhaps it was power consumption, I
mean how long does your DAB portable run for on a PP3?

yes battery consumption is **** awful whereas my Cokoa pn-204 runs for weeks
on six AA batteries...

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...7640282e4a.jpg

I have DAB and stand alone internet radios coming out of my ears but I
prefer the Russian MW/LW any day.....