Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Memories - old technology

On 22 Jun 2017 11:03:27 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 11:04:58 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

One of the fun devices was an electtron gun tube rejuvenator. When one
of the colours was so low emission it really needed a new tube ten mins
on this gadget seems to make it last at least another 6 months!

I used similar devices back in the 1960s. I had a weekend/summer job with
Technical Trading in Brighton. They used to sell cut price valves.

They bought large quantities of used valves. We tested them using Mullard
valve testers (the ones with big punched paxolin cards for each valve
type, to select voltages and tests). If OK, we cleaned them off and
relabelled them by printing on the side.

If they had low emission, they went into an RF coil that would ignite
what was left of the getter. That usually got them to pass the test.

Technical Trading in Brighton, now there's a blast from the past. I
can remember avidly waiting foe a parcel from TT when I was a
schoolkid, but, I can't remember what it was.
There always seemed to be an intervening Bank Holiday to extend the
suspense, when I ordered something interesting.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%