Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Memories - old technology

In article ,
Graham. wrote:
On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:47:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Internet and DAB both take an age to get going. The big advantage
of the simple AM/FM transistor radio is that it runs a long time
on batteries.

as the advert SHOULD say.... if you love radio don't buy a DAB

Another black and white type.

I have DAB in the car. In general, *reception* is far superior to AM or
FM in the SE of England.

It's very interesting to ask a DAB hater to tell which recording he is
listening to of something simulcast on DAB and FM. Provided you sync
them up and match the levels.

I did just that with a chunk of R2 from FM, DAB and FreeView. A panel
of 10 'experts' gave almost entirely random results. But I'd guess even
they might have heard a difference with AM.

Jim's was just an off the cuff remark, he didn't even say what was wrong
with DAB in his opinion, perhaps it was power consumption, I mean how
long does your DAB portable run for on a PP3?

'if you love radio don't buy a DAB ....... ' seems pretty clear to me.

I don't have any portable radios in use in this house. Just one I take
with me when staying elsewhere. So small enough to fit in the luggage. But
not one which runs from a PP3. Very expensive source of battery power.

--
*Black holes are where God divided by zero *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.