Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Memories - old technology

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 00:49:10 +0100, Steve Walker
wrote:

On 22/06/2017 18:59, Max Demian wrote:
On 22/06/2017 08:26, wrote:
On Thursday, 22 June 2017 08:17:08 UTC+1, DerbyBorn wrote:
Remember trying to improve an old TV by adjusting the Convergenece
Controls.
I recall, my old Murphy had about 20 potentiometers and other
ajustements.

Probably lots of them conveniently close to tingly high voltage bits.

I remember when all the 2ps we'd saved for the telephone became
useless as the telephone got changed to 5ps and 10ps. (This was of
course the telephone box down the road -- we didn't have one in the
house.)

When STD coin box phones came in, they took threepenny bits, sixpences
and shillings. They soon blocked up the threepenny slot, so doubling the
cost of short local calls.

I think it was only in the '80s that they changed the tone received by
an operator from a payphone - until then they could not tell them from
private phones and people had learned that you could make free reverse
charges calls *to* phoneboxes.

SteveW

"Cuckoo tone"
--