Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default Memories - old technology

On 22 Jun 2017 18:15:52 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 18:56:20 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 22/06/2017 09:46, Chris Green wrote:
Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes

And being told to put the radio on at 5 to 1 for the 1 o'clock news -
it needed time to 'warm up'.

10 to 1, otherwise you'd miss the shipping forecast

Many of our 'radios' (internet, etc.) take just as long to start up.
Give me a 'tranny' any day.

Mains valve radios were up and running in 20 seconds.

Battery ones were even faster. Typically using the D?9? valves, they had
filaments that doubled as cathodes, which helped quite a bit.

My single valve shortwave set using a 1T4 (DF91) warmed up almost
instantaneously, Less than one second, and you could hear the thermal
stress of the heater in the cans.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%