Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default cutting 1/2" thick aluminum bars on a budget?

"JBL" wrote in message
news
I am attempting to make a few "dovetails" which are brackets used to
attach a telescope to a telescope mount. If purchased outright, for
the kind of dovetails I need, the expense is beyond my budget. I
recently acquired some 1/2" aluminum sheet/ bar. The dovetail needs
to be 1.75" wide at the base, with the sides cut at a 15 degree
angle. Length can vary a bit, but usually about 12-14". My plan was
to make at least 3 for the various telescopes I have.

I thought I'd be able to get away with an old circular table saw I
had. Last week, I made some 1/4" thick dovetails of a slightly
different design using my table saw fitted with a plywood blade.
This went well, but when I tried to make these thicker 1/2"
dovetails today, I ended up burning out my saw.

Ideas for a cheap way to make these dovetails would be welcome.
I've been watching Craigslist for another circular to replace the
burned out one, but I don't think it's the best tool for this job
without a $30 plus blade made to cut metal and even then I'm not
sure it will do it.

Thanks in advance for your help,
John

Like these?