Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Floor fan won't run?

On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 23:49:15 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

snip

In this case I'm sure it's a pretty cheap and simple induction motor
(or some sort) and as you may have seen me mention elsewhere, just
span up for a few seconds! Now, it was either the cap having another
death spasm or there is an intermittent joint in the wiring somewhere
(although it all seems pretty neat, clean and undisturbed).

If when I try the replacement cap and assuming it works, I'll give all
the wiring a wiggle to make sure.

Do measure the winding voltage too. It will give a clue to the inductance.

As I mentioned, I went to and it span up!

Just thought, since you measured capacitance can you also measure
inductance? Though I doubt at 50Hz!

;-)

I need to make the connections safe again and run it up when I'm awake
and if it doesn't actually work (or turn out to be a dry joint or some
such), I'll see what the voltage is across the run winding. At one
point I thought I saw ~12-14V (when it was ~206 across the cap) but
when I went to recheck, it was working.

Cheers, T i m