Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxxx Fredxxx is offline

Default Floor fan won't run?

On 24/06/2017 22:09, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 21:17:34 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 24/06/2017 21:05, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 24 Jun 2017 20:20:18 +0100, (Roger Hayter)
wrote:

snip

Assuming it doesn't have brushes,

It doesn't Roger, an AC 'synchronous motor' I think they call them.

I think I would call them shaded pole induction motor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaded-pole_motor

And you would probably be right. I forgot the key term I was thinking
of was 'induction'.

But who knows the economics of motors and control gear these days.

In this case I'm sure it's a pretty cheap and simple induction motor
(or some sort) and as you may have seen me mention elsewhere, just
span up for a few seconds! Now, it was either the cap having another
death spasm or there is an intermittent joint in the wiring somewhere
(although it all seems pretty neat, clean and undisturbed).

If when I try the replacement cap and assuming it works, I'll give all
the wiring a wiggle to make sure.

Do measure the winding voltage too. It will give a clue to the inductance.

Just thought, since you measured capacitance can you also measure
inductance? Though I doubt at 50Hz!