Posted to alt.home.repair
Mr. Safety[_2_] Mr. Safety[_2_] is offline

Default 10 Foot Dryer Cord

On 06/24/2017 05:03 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 23 Jun 2017 06:55:28p, told us...

On Fri, 23 Jun 2017 17:28:07 -0400, Roy Biggins
wrote:

On 6/23/2017 5:06 PM, Boris wrote:
I read all your replies (thanks), and understand the the
differences between 3- and 4- wire 220v circuits. Every home
I've lived in, so far, has been built before 1996. As time goes
by, codes become more and more stringent, sometimes benefiting
the end user, sometimes just the contractor/manufacturer. But,
I can definitely appreciate grounding a steel cabinet to a
home's ground.

Ground and neutral are bonded at the service entrance so no need
to waste extra copper on a 4-wire circuit.

True if everything oes according to plan. What happens if your
neutral fails? Being a 240 device, everything still works - unless
there is aome 120 components (like the interior light, or the
timer) in which case the case becomes live.
There IS a GOOD reason 4 wire is now required by code. get used
it.

We're used to it because we have no choice where we now live. All
the homes we owned before had 3-wire circuits and there was never a
problem. There was certainly no mandate to retrofit for 4-wire For
many decades 3-wire was the norm and I doubt that there were that
many problems during those years.

Pretty soon the do-gooder guy wire police will run out of guy wires to
inspect and they'll be wanting to inspect your electric stove's power cord.