Posted to alt.home.repair
Artisan Custom Floors Artisan Custom Floors is offline

Default No Baseboard Molding in Modern Bedroom w/ Carpet

replying to aemeijers, Artisan Custom Floors wrote:
I agree. Being a floorcovering installer myself, it is much more difficult to
get a really finished look for carpet, especially if you are putting in a
patterned berber. You WILL definitely pay more for this. Leaving the drywall
up three eights of an inch to half an inch does leave at least a little
something for the carpet installer to talk underneath. Be aware though, you
might see a "halo" around the perimeter of your room due to the smooth edge,
or tack strip, being lower than the carpet underlay that you choose. There
will be a definite dip right before the wall. Baseboards usually hide this.
Another potential issue, is the carpet being lifted off by somebody cleaning
with a vacuum. If you're like me, you detach the powerhead from the hose, and
go around the perimeter of your room with just the hose to get in the corner.
If you're not careful, and the carpet has nothing holding it down i.e. a
baseboard, it could pull off of the smooth edge and thus you lose the stretch
your carpet. As for others who have said that they have sheet vinyl in their
homes with no casings, I would never recommend this. For the sheer fact that
casings hold the perimeter of the sheet vinyl down. As we have all seen in
houses that I've had sheet vinyl down for years, vinyl will likely curl. This
is due to its continued loss of its plasticizers in its top layer. This
happens especially around heat vents and vertical abutments like cabinetry or
gable ends. If you do not have casings, the only way to hold something down is
with the small bead of silicone. And this is not a permanent hold. Just look
at the front of somebody's tub after the flooring is been down for 10 years.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...et-294763-.htm