Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Hayter[_2_] Roger Hayter[_2_] is offline

Default Grenfell Tower - Celotex

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:

You can have fire doors which are held open by a electromagnet for a
pre-determined time to allow getting things like large objects
through. And close automatically in event of a fire alarm. All sorts
of ways round it.

All of which can be defeated by a simple wooden wedge

Then you educate the tenants to remove any they come across. Hardly rocket
science.

This however is a psychological miracle that has never been achieved
with biological creatures. Robots might comply, if they didn't have to
keep going in and out.

Hospitals (and probably fire stations) are full of ad hoc wooden door
wedges, as, inexplicably, the stores won't supply them.

We had those in the laboratory where I worked with each section having
its own independent fire escape when locked down. I don't recall us ever
having a fire when I was there. Implosions and big bangs but no fires.

Fire alarm tests were fun since on the longest corridor it looked like
the title sequence from "Get Smart" as the fire doors each slammed shut.

--

Roger Hayter