Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Memories - old technology

On 23/06/17 09:47, NY wrote:
news
Whereas this desktop using very ordinary components is asking for my
password in under 7 seconds and is ready to use in 15.

Your PC boots from total power-off (ie not resuming from hibernation
or sleep) to password and desktop in 15 seconds?

yup.

My laptop takes 18 seconds for win10.
Not bad when some of the stuff is still on spinning rust.
Its not a top of the line one and its running in power saving mode all
the time so its probably quicker if I run at full power.

I'm impressed. My two PCs
(both Win 7) take about 5 mins from power-off state, and that's after
checking for unwanted startup processes (msconfig) etc and after
running CCLEANER. What OS do you use? And is that with spinning HDD or
solid-state?

Linux Mint/SSD

about 3 secs is BIOS followed by the splash screen to see if I want to
boot linux. If i hut yes then its about another 4 secs to the login
screen, and after that another 7-8 loading up the desktop and so on.

I think mine is in the BIOS for a bit longer than that, about 7 seconds.

You have to do a restart and power down once the BIOS is there to stop
the win10 quick start to get a true time from power to boot as above.
Just letting it "shutdown" brings it up in about 3 seconds.