Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default Memories - old technology

On 23/06/2017 09:47, NY wrote:
news
Whereas this desktop using very ordinary components is asking for my
password in under 7 seconds and is ready to use in 15.

Your PC boots from total power-off (ie not resuming from hibernation or
sleep) to password and desktop in 15 seconds? I'm impressed. My two PCs
(both Win 7) take about 5 mins from power-off state, and that's after
checking for unwanted startup processes (msconfig) etc and after running
CCLEANER. What OS do you use? And is that with spinning HDD or solid-state?

I tend to leave my desktop PC on 24/7 because I use it as a PVR and for
logging info from my weather station, so I only reboot it about one
every couple of weeks (eg after MS updates). I tend to leave my laptop
on as well (even if I put it to sleep when I'm not using it) because its
battery no longer holds any charge so it needs to be booted from cold
each time. Of course booting from sleep only works as long as the laptop
is plugged into its power supply. For some reason, hibernate (boot from
memory image on disk rather than from battery-backed RAM) is greyed out
on my laptop.

On XP you used to have to enable hibernate so it could allocate enough
space on the HDD for the memory image.

More recent Windows versions talk about "Hybrid sleep" disabling Hibernate.

--
Max Demian