Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bush Hog repair

On 6/22/2017 10:07 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, June 22, 2017 at 5:10:51 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
This part
will be ~1.250" ID x 4.5" long with about a .625 wall thickness , the
original had a 3/16" wall .
If you think I'm an idiot for taking this on , keep it to
yourself ...

--

Snag

I don't thnk it will matter how you weld it. .625 is 10/16 so over three times the thickness of the original. What you might do is put in a zerk fitting to grease it.

Dan

The original had a zerk , the new one will too . My main concern is
that the mass of the sleeve will act as a chill . I lit up on a corner
of a big piece with the TIG torch , got hard - real hard . The origin of
this stock is from shipping bracketry for a CNC router setup (5 x 10
table , big!) that a shop I worked at got . I got all the brackets and
bar stock , bar stock was all around 2.5" diameter and 6-8 feet long . I
know the rounds are weldable because they had lugs and stop collars
welded on . I don't recall any particular difficulty cutting the stuff
off ... but I don't want to risk localized hardening and embrittlement .
It may be fine to just weld it up and walk away , but I don't *know*
that it will work OK . Maybe I need to run a bead on a slice of similar
thickness and see what it does . Now why didn't I think of that already !

--

Snag