Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default uk-d-i-y.moderated? Views...

On 22/06/2017 21:03, The Other Mike wrote:

As for attracting new blood then home DIY is IMHO close to dead, most can't

I am not sure that is true. There seems to be quite flourishing "maker"
movement at the moment, and lots of growth in online content to satisfy
that appetite.

afford homes to buy, those that can afford it are so incapable they 'get someone
in'

That is true, and it indicates that the nature of what people DIY may
change - i.e. be less home improvement focussed, but that does not mean
DIY stops altogether. We will see far more crossover stuff that features
electronics, software, CAD, CAM, CNC etc as well as more traditional
skills.

So you are left with those that have some degree of DIY skills, getting older
and less capable and It could be that those long despised forum originated posts
come to dominate this newsgroup in years to come.

They have been about for many years now - starting with diybanter and
similar. There does not seem to have been much growth in posts from
those sources as a proportion of the total though it seems to me. I get
the impression that many of the forums are poor at getting responses
back to the OP and hence they soon lose interest.

--
Cheers,

John.