Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Memories - old technology

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 18:56:20 +0100, Max Demian wrote:

On 22/06/2017 09:46, Chris Green wrote:
Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes

And being told to put the radio on at 5 to 1 for the 1 o'clock news -
it needed time to 'warm up'.

10 to 1, otherwise you'd miss the shipping forecast

Many of our 'radios' (internet, etc.) take just as long to start up.
Give me a 'tranny' any day.

Mains valve radios were up and running in 20 seconds.

Battery ones were even faster. Typically using the D?9? valves, they had
filaments that doubled as cathodes, which helped quite a bit.

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org