Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dennis@home Dennis@home is offline

Default Grenfell Tower - Celotex

In article ,
RJH wrote:
Barry Turner, director of technical policy at Local Authority Building .
. . said that it was difficult to tell the difference between
fire-resistant and non-fire resistant panels once they are installed and
stressed that €¯the person responsible for doing it right is the person
carrying out the work€¢.

Then no need to check any building work ever.

I've no experience of building a tower block, but do know when doing some
major works on this house, the BI insisted in seeing some aspects of
things (like RSJ pads) before they were plastered over.

In other words, he wanted to make sure it was built to spec.

But I suppose with big business doing the work, they are all automatically
trusted.

No they aren't.

There is a statutory requirement to have some works inspected.

The problem is there doesn't appear to be any inspections required for
the work on Grenfell Tower as a refurbishment with no structural changes.
So its up to the inspectors to negotiate with the contractors about what
they are going to check.

This is what happens when you let the big boys use building notices for
work so that they don't need to submit any plans.

No the planning application is not plans of what was to be done before
anyone asks. All that was for was to show that the insulation met the
targets for insulation.