Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Grenfell Tower - Celotex

In message , at 09:58:00 on Thu, 22 Jun
2017, Martin Brown remarked:

I see that the most senior unelected council office has been
scapegoated and forced out of their job to add to the costs of this
fiasco.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40362317

Doubtless he will be able to sue his employers and the government for
unfair dismissal eventually when the dust settles.

That's an unfortunate metaphor in the circumstances

He may or may not have done a good job in the immediate aftermath of
this major disaster but he was dealt an unplayable hand.

I'm reserving judgement on whether or not they had a sufficiently robust
disaster recovery plan, which was apparently both generically and
specifically his responsibility.

From the council website:

[Mr Holgate], The Town Clerk is expected to work such hours as are
necessary to ensure the job gets done. This routinely involves one or
two evenings a week. From January 2017, as an economy and recognising
the delegation of duties as section 151 officer {Finance- rp} to a
colleague from April, Mr Holgate is working a 4½ day week. He is
nevertheless "on call" at almost all other times, particularly to cover
emergency planning requirements. No extra payments are made for such
extended hours.

--
Roland Perry