Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default uk-d-i-y.moderated? Views...

In message , Graham.
writes
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:56:25 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

Someone mentioned this the other day...

I've run nntp servers before, admittedly 15 years ago - but a simple
single server "islanded" setup is not hard in itself.

I am not proposing adding to the USENET hierarchy - I'm proposing a
single server. The traffic and number of users is low enough for that to
work.

Pros:

We could moderate and kill OT stuff and obnoxiousness whist whitelisting
anyone who posts reasonable stuff;

Could keep all the leeching web portals off, by force if necessary;

Cons:

I/we have to run a server;

Some people have to be willing to moderate;

Would we need our own properly done web portal to make it popular and
capture new blood?

Opinions please

It's a solution to a problem that does not exist.
Not yet anyhow.
0/10. See me.

+1

My newsreader has choices on ignoring unwelcome posts/posters but, apart
from serial offenders, I find it best to simply skip threads where
obnoxious views are offered.

Kipling's Stalky and Co has a bit about *baiting* and *rises* which I
didn't understand when first read (teenager) but see it happening all
the time in here. Basically, if you don't respond, the baiter loses. He
will likely come back with something more outrageous and eventually
appear very silly.

Off Topic posts can be interesting so long as they don't destroy the
informative nature and original purpose of the group.

My daughters introduced me to Usenet when they wanted to read about
Eddie Izzard! Of the half dozen groups still on my list, UK.d-i-y is the
only one still active.

--
Tim Lamb