Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff Brian Gaff is offline

Default uk-d-i-y.moderated? Views...

If it is going to be a forum you would lose me. there are a bewildering
number of different user interfaces now out there and the main reason I use
usenet is because its the same for all. No faffing about with inaccessible
weeird controls.
If you want a private list set up a mailing list instead on groups.io and
then ignore the usenet group completely. tTotal control over who is on it
and lots of cool extras and a web portal as well. No I'm not invoved
financially with them.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Tim Watts
writes
Someone mentioned this the other day...

I've run nntp servers before, admittedly 15 years ago - but a simple
single server "islanded" setup is not hard in itself.

I am not proposing adding to the USENET hierarchy - I'm proposing a single
server. The traffic and number of users is low enough for that to work.

Pros:

We could moderate and kill OT stuff and obnoxiousness whist whitelisting
anyone who posts reasonable stuff;

Could keep all the leeching web portals off, by force if necessary;

Cons:

I/we have to run a server;

Some people have to be willing to moderate;

Would we need our own properly done web portal to make it popular and
capture new blood?

Opinions please

Might as well make it a forum and take money for advertising?

--
Tim Lamb