Posted to uk.d-i-y
Graham.[_11_] Graham.[_11_] is offline

Default uk-d-i-y.moderated? Views...

On Thu, 22 Jun 2017 00:40:02 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
Someone mentioned this the other day...

I've run nntp servers before, admittedly 15 years ago - but a simple
single server "islanded" setup is not hard in itself.

I am not proposing adding to the USENET hierarchy - I'm proposing a
single server. The traffic and number of users is low enough for that to
work.

Pros:

We could moderate and kill OT stuff and obnoxiousness whist whitelisting
anyone who posts reasonable stuff;

Could keep all the leeching web portals off, by force if necessary;

Cons:

I/we have to run a server;

Some people have to be willing to moderate;

Would we need our own properly done web portal to make it popular and
capture new blood?

Opinions please

Do you know of any other moderated newsgroup still running?

uk.radio amateur moderated
uk.legal moderated

The former was created because its unmoderated sister group was all
but destroyed by infighting between a small number of posters, who yet
still refuse to grow up. By and large there was little alternative to
a moderated group, although I would prefer a much lighter touch to the
moderation.

I'm not really qualified to comment about ulm vs ul, the unmodulated
group seems to work well enough, but it is often said that those with
actual legal experience tend to post in the moderated group.
There's a whole other culture behind these groups, with the moderation
streams publicity visible on the web, and the back chatter on
uk.net.news.moderation which of course is unmoderated.

Life's too short for all that, I just want my post to appear when I
press send.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%