Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default uk-d-i-y.moderated? Views...

On Thursday, 22 June 2017 00:57:15 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 21/06/2017 22:15, Mark Allread wrote:
On Wed, 21 Jun 2017 18:56:25 +0100, Tim Watts wrote:

Someone mentioned this the other day...

Pros:

We could moderate and kill OT stuff and obnoxiousness whist whitelisting
anyone who posts reasonable stuff;

Hmm, a bit like a killfile then where I can ignore individual posters or
threads.

But what I choose to ignore may not be the same as what others choose to
ignore.

Opinions please

I can see where you are going with this - there is an increasing amount
of noise on here but even the noisiest posters sometimes post something
of interest (like seeking advice on UPVC doors as an example).

I prefer to stick with a killfile and/or just skip the name calling and
rabble rousing as I see fit.

I think people might be focussing too much on the avoiding the crap
stuff and less on the how to bring new talent into the group aspect.
There is no getting away from the fact that usenet for all its virtues
is less "visible" to later generations of 'net users.

Some of the web front ends have been slightly less crap than others,
however even there you have a problem that some people like to tar all
users of such system with the same brush and lob insults as a first
response to a genuine questioner just because some other users of the
same portal reply to old posts without understanding what they are doing.

Likewise new readers could equally well be put off before they start
because of the political sniping or the religious loon so courageously
preaching his extremist diatribe from behind anonymous re-mailers.

We have a web based FAQ and wiki, and to be fair articles there do get
100K+ page views, but they rarely then lead onto new participants in the
discussions beyond a few people who email me directly regarding content
there.

Something that could sit alongside the existing web site and enable
discussion there could be good. It could act as a gateway to existing
usenet users, bridging conversation here, while shielding the web
version from the stuff that we are in the habit of kill filing here.

Sounds good. And it would be uk.d-i-y not uk.d-i-y.moderated, so much more web presence. Uk.d-i-y could use a sane visible web portal with rodney filter.

NT