Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mr Pounder Esquire Mr Pounder Esquire is offline

Default uk-d-i-y.moderated? Views...

Tim Watts wrote:
Someone mentioned this the other day...

I've run nntp servers before, admittedly 15 years ago - but a simple
single server "islanded" setup is not hard in itself.

I am not proposing adding to the USENET hierarchy - I'm proposing a
single server. The traffic and number of users is low enough for that
to work.

Pros:

We could moderate and kill OT stuff and obnoxiousness whist
whitelisting anyone who posts reasonable stuff;

Could keep all the leeching web portals off, by force if necessary;

Cons:

I/we have to run a server;

Some people have to be willing to moderate;

Would we need our own properly done web portal to make it popular and
capture new blood?

Opinions please

No need for that. It will turn into uklm where everybody has watch what they
say and be nicey-nicey.
As for new blood, it's too late for that. More or less the same people post
here all of the time - there is nothing wrong with that as this is quite an
active group.
Leave well alone.