Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Component Damage

wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Jun 2017 20:16:48 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

diodes would be OK but die mounting and bond wires in some germanium
transistors was well, err - a bit amateurish.

Nowadays; suppliers pack *ANY* components in anti-static bags - it used
to be some sort of clue which bits to handle with care.

There's some unexpected parts on the vulnerable list, so maybe they
have
a point.

molded semiconductors can be subjected to pretty much anything that
doesn't break the case.

IC sockets though? Why do they pack them in anti-static bags (Digi-Key)!

They pack *EVERYTHING* in anti static bags - there was a time anti static
bags alerted you to the need for special handling.

All semiconductors need special handling. Usually I just wet my hands
and ground myself. That is plenty. Wet hands cant cause static
electricity.

Wrong - your hands are essentially wet by default. Wet hands simply provide
a lower impedance jump off point for that fat blue spark.

Working on a PC - I rest my bare elbow on the metal case so I'm at the same
potential as what the PC thinks is earth. Some people insist on unplugging
the mains - but it makes no difference from the ESD point of view if you do
it properly.

Handling individual ICs, I breathe on them so the slight humidity provides a
leakage path between the pins. I always plant my hand on the anti static mat
before putting the chip down to make sure I'm at the same potential as where
I'm putting the chip. Deploying the part is same as working on a PC - touch
the ground plane while introducing the chip to its socket.