Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default A stark reminder for BLO users!

On 6/21/17 11:28 AM, Leon wrote:
On 6/21/2017 9:33 AM, Casper wrote:
Spalted Walt was heard to mutter:
A *very* lucky dude.
https://www.youtube.com/embed/v0CPhmplHek?rel=0 ---

Very lucky indeed. Really surprised the wood didn't ignite. He
could have lost a serious amount of stuff in that building.

So what is the 'best' way to handle such rags? How many oils does
this apply to besides BLO?

I've avoided using BLO because of this hazard and the area I live.
But I'm thinking of trying it and a few other oils for finishing.

I've read up on handling, MSDS, etc., but I'm always open to
hearing better and safer methods.

http://www.avg.com

I spread my rags out and lay them apart from each other and anything
else on the concrete floor. If they catch fire they do not ignite
any thing else. Or lay them out side the same way.

Apparently, the reason putting them in a sealed metal container works,
is that it starves them of the oxygen needed to produce the chemical
reaction that creates the heat for combustion. Inside the can, the oil
can dry up without heating up.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)