Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grenfell Tower - Celotex

On 21/06/2017 00:11, Pet @ www.gymratz.co.uk ;¬) wrote:

Get some and put a blowtorch to it.
Celotex insulation does not really burn.

I set some on fire quite easily with the sparks of a metal grinding disk
when using an off-cut of Cellotex as a spark deflecter (thinking the
stuff would be fireproof). The sparks were hitting the non-foiled end
grain and I'm sure it actually had flames coming from it not to mention
lots of quite nasty smoke.

Burning metal sparks can be quite a bit hotter than a blowtorch flame
and may concentrate the heat released in just the wrong way. Celotex is
after all a very good heat insulator. The smoke from it is bad for you.

Incidentally the photo which appeared in the Observer p27 and on the
cover of the London Evening Standard tends to suggest that the vertical
fins on the side of the building played some part in fire propagation.
They have jets of flame jumping up 4-6 storeys from three of the four.
(building is already well alight to the top but RHS less so internally)

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/...n=true#image=5

--
Regards,
Martin Brown