Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Red LocTite as Glue for SS Rod Into 6061?

On 6/20/2017 7:52 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
The SS rod is the spindle of a pedal on what Hobie calls a "Mirage
Drive": http://tinyurl.com/y9a4xr3a

Basically a couple of pedal-driven flippers that propel a kayak.

I am fabricating new pedal cranks for mine after breaking two of
Hobie's.

The SS spindle is 15/32" and I would drill the same-sized hole in the
solid 6061.

I do not want to get involved with cutting threads in SS, so I am
thinking maybe just put the spindle in there with Red Loctite.

Doesn't seem like there is that much stress on it - and Hobie does
something similar where then do a force-fit of one end of the spindle
into the far end of their alu box stock.

Does anybody see any hope for this?

I'd see a lot more hope if you used a sleeve retaining type ... and
be aware those compounds require a couple of thou clearance between
parts . There's likely more torque being transmitted than you think ,
have you considered using a taper or roll pin ?

--

Snag