Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Brexit Omen

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
michael adams wrote:

"Capitol" wrote in message
news

No difference at all. Walked away from a deal last month. I didn't need
to buy a car,
so I kept the money and the car dealer lost the sale. WTO rules have
the same effect.

The UK imports at least 40% of its food, and so unlike you and the car,
we do actually need to buy food. That's the difference.

Unless of course you're willing to allow 40% of the UK population to
starve to death, if you can't get the deal that you want. Whether
deliberately or not.

*Oh sorry I forgot about that bit".

Which isn't actually the bounds of possibility; given the degree of
mental competence you customarily display on this Newsgroup.

I think it as rather like changing jobs.

It is in fact nothing even remotely like changing jobs.

A sensible person with commitments would look round
and test the waters etc to see how likely a better one
would be to find. Before resigning. I certainly did.

Yes, but Britain knows what the situation is trade wise in
the worst case where no trade deal with the EU is possible.

It is free to import any food it likes from anywhere and wouldn’t
have to impose any tariff on any of it if it chose not to do that.

And it already knows how that worked before it joined
the EEC and did that with commonwealth countrys.

Did the UK test the waters to see how easy it would be to set up
alternative deals with other countries if/when we leave the EU?

It knows that it doesn’t need any alternative deals with anyone.
And knows it is free to operate under by far the most comprehensive
trade deal the world has ever seen, the WTO. which it was in fact
a very crucial participant in setting up.

Unlike some other countries we are a long way from being self
sufficient, so need to trade to earn the money needed to survive.

And Britain knows it did fine doing that before it joined the EEC.

And that the EU has no choice on what it currently gets from Britain,
particularly with aircraft engines and wings, financial services, docos
and TV series etc in english, decent scotch and gin etc etc etc.

But having resigned with nowhere to go

Even more flagrantly dishonest than you usually manage.

we have now got to go back to our old
employer and hope he'll take us back.

Even sillier and more flagrantly dishonest than you usually manage.

Might not be quite under the same conditions, though.

Corse not, but it aint gunna happen, you watch.