Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Brexit Omen

On Tuesday, 20 June 2017 15:39:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article . com,
dennis@home wrote:
On 20/06/17 13:19, michael adams wrote:
"Capitol" wrote in message
news

No difference at all. Walked away from a deal last month. I didn't
need to buy a car,
so I kept the money and the car dealer lost the sale. WTO rules have
the same effect.

The UK imports at least 40% of its food, and so unlike you and the car,
we do actually need to buy food. That's the difference.

Unless of course you're willing to allow 40% of the UK population to
starve
to death, if you can't get the deal that you want. Whether
deliberately or not.

so stupid on so many counts

Yesterday I bought courgettes. From South Africa. Cornflakes. From the
USA Lemons. From Israel. Lamb. From New Zealand. None of these
countries are members of the EU.

And of course our ability to source food from the EU will be
completely unaffected by lack of a trade deal. It will simply be 5%
more expensive.

Why will it be more expensive? You claim the UK economy will boom once
we leave so the resulting rise in the £ will mean its cheaper.

If you actually want to convince me that brexit is a bad idea, at
least come up with a convincing argument based on facts, not some
total fantasy based on wishful thinking.

Turnip is one of those who thinks we have a money tree.
And after all the comment on here and elswhere for the past year still
doesn't realise that it would never be any problem *buying* anything from
anywhere. If the price goes up that will be through the pound falling in
value or *our* government applying a duty, etc.

The thing he has totally ignored is we need to earn the money to spend on
such things. From exporting good and services. And countries who we don't
have a deal with will almost certainly put duty on those goods for obvious
reasons.

It will be interesting to see what the USA thinks of us when we have no
influence in the EU.

I doubt many avid Brexiteers saw Trump coming. With many of the same ideas
they have - pull up the draw bridge.

I thought the EU were acting like Trump by not allowing in foreign goods or rather goods from countries outside their own that they couldn't compete with and then call it 'free trade'