Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Audible (CLICK) Edge Detector ?

On Sun, 18 Jun 2017 21:35:05 -0500, Jon Elson
wrote:

Bob La Londe wrote:

I've used the little edge detectors from Fisher Machine for a few years
now. If I take my time and bump up 5 tenths at a time on the little CNC
mills I
get pretty good results. Better than the machine itself. Good enough for
rubber worm molds anyway. I've never used the audible ones. No, not an
electronic thing, but a mechanical "click" when it breaks over. How good
are they? Does the mechanism that makes it click have a negative impact
on accuracy?

I got one of the audible ones, it seems to work, and can be heard pretty
clearly even when wearing ear protectors. I'm now using an electronic probe
in most circumstances, but still keep the edge finder for when the probe
won't fit.

Jon

How do those audible click edge finders work? What makes the click?
I've only seen them in catalogs and the pictures have never been clear
enough to show what does the clicking. The edge finder I like the best
is a "Super Jump" edge finder. I think Flexbar sells 'em. I have
several edge finders but the Super jump gets the most use because it
is the most accurate and most easily visible.
Eric