Posted to rec.woodworking
Brewster[_2_] Brewster[_2_] is offline

Default Help: New plug rating/size for air compressor?

On 6/11/17 9:04 AM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 6/11/17 9:31 AM, Brewster wrote:
On 6/11/17 5:10 AM, Dr. Deb wrote:
On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 5:30:06 PM UTC-5, Michael wrote:
I need to replace the three prong plug on my air compressor.
Before I head to Ace, can anyone tell me what size/rating plug I
need? Here is a picture of the compressor.

https://ibb.co/h4LrTF

Much appreciated!

Mike

Go to ACE and get one of their plastic molded plugs. (Here is a
picture from HF)
https://www.harborfreight.com/125-vo...lug-93686.html

Cut your current cord, strip the wires back a bit and assemble.

The biggest grief I encounter when buying a replacement plug is
getting the correct part for the cord diameter. Some plugs have nice,
secure cord clamps, but only work on a limited range of acceptable
code diameters. Some plugs use a collet style cord clamp, but I find
these to be rather poor for any cord that gets much plugging action,
although some of the yellow colored can-shaped plugs with the
three-fingered collet style retainer are actually quite good. -BR

Since we're making rocket surgery out of a simple plug replacement, I'll
throw in another option.

Get an extension cord with the same gauge wire as the current compressor
cord. Cut off the female end and wire it into the compressor.

Hey! That would make too much sense and probably be cheaper. How dare
you 8^)

-BR