Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ian Field Ian Field is offline

Default Component Damage

"Cursitor Doom" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 13:45:40 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

I'd first be mindful of mechanical damage from doing that. When was the
book written? Germanium?

NT

Haha! I think even those old germanium diodes would easily cope with a
four foot fall!

diodes would be OK but die mounting and bond wires in some germanium
transistors was well, err - a bit amateurish.

Nowadays; suppliers pack *ANY* components in anti-static bags - it used to
be some sort of clue which bits to handle with care.

There's some unexpected parts on the vulnerable list, so maybe they have a
point.

molded semiconductors can be subjected to pretty much anything that doesn't
break the case.