Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW[_2_] ARW[_2_] is offline

Default Alarm switches for steel windows

On 15/06/2017 17:34, wrote:
On 15/06/2017 17:06, ARW wrote:
On 15/06/2017 11:30,
wrote:
On 14/06/2017 19:31,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 14 June 2017 14:49:40 UTC+1, wrote:
I want to fit alarm switches to a significant number of steel
(Crittall)
windows but I'm concerned that the reed switch types will get confused
by the steel frame. Can anyone suggest alternatives?

So use microswitches.

NT

I was considering microswitches (or, possibly, a slotted opto sensor)
but I can't find anything that looks reasonable for a sensible price.

Hmm, I just tried to check the alarm input specs and discovered that all
the sensors are wired in parallel with an "iD" signalling system, so it
may not be straightforward to replace some of the PIRs with switches ...
more study needed!

I don't know what you know about them but google for "ID biscuit
alarms" etc

Until a few hours ago I didn't even know they existed, now I know how to
use them and where to buy them. It seems that the system is a bit dated
but they look simple to use and the current set-up works well so
reconfiguring it shouldn't be too difficult. I need to check the IDs of
the existing "biscuits" before ordering some new ones but there seem to
be two types (black and white) and I can't find out what the difference
is (apart from the obvious!) ... can anyone enlighten me?

Best guess without asking my mate (he is in Spain) it is that they have
different resistances for certain panels and that they are a variation
on an EOL installation.

http://www.castle-caretech.com/wh/ma...sc-id-plus.pdf

--
Adam