Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default PING -MIKE-

On 6/16/17 10:14 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 6/16/2017 6:15 AM, J. Clarke wrote:
In article , says...

On 6/14/2017 11:29 PM,
wrote:

Your employess steal time from you. All of them do. Ever take
an extra cigarette break? Ever make personal calls on company
time? Ever take a sick day when you weren't? Ever sneak off
early to see your kid play a soccer game, go to his band
recital, a baseball game, or anything else? How many times did
you take exactly one hour for lunch? How many days did you
say, "well,we gave it our all tomorrow, but I'm beat, so let's
go home and hit it hard tomorrow". Ever

take a pad, a pencil, a pen, or exaggerate your lunch/entertainment
bill? Go home and take the rest of the day off when a conference
was over early?

All? I disagree, though some do. Everyone works differently.
An example, some years go I was a supervisor and had a guy
working for me that ran a tubing bending machine. He often took
a walk to the storeroom, took the extra smoke break, etc. My
boss thought he was a screw off and confined him to his machine;
no more trips to the storeroom for supplies. Before that, he
turned out 50% to 100% more at the end of the day than anyone
else. Tied to his machine, his output dropped to the same as
everyone else.

I have a half dozen stories of people that are perceived as a
goof off but vastly outproduce everyone else. Yes, some people
do screw you on time, but what counts is what is done at the end
of the day.

As for myself, I never sneaked off early. I just said "I'm
leaving early". No reason to be sneaky about it.

https://www.themuse.com/advice/the-r...random-but-it-

ups-your-productivity

Supports my story. You cannot work at 100% every minute of the day.
It is the amount of work done in the end that counts. Just check
down at the Widget Factory. Some of the people taking a lot of
breaks make more widgets per day than the ones that never leave their
work station.

Oh, forgot to mention, I also took a short nap most afternoons too.

When you filter out all the extraneous opinion, personal ideology, and
bias based on negative experiences, you're BOTH right.

I think it's very clear that Robert isn't painting with a broad brush.
Setting aside those that outright steal physical items, he's talking
about slackers and workers who try to get as much as they can for as
little as possible. We've all seen these people and anyone who's worked
in any kind of civil service knows this type very well. These are not
the type of people referred to in that article.

I'm guessing Robert has employed quite of few of those 52/17 types.
Those are the type of employees you attract by paying more. Even though
the type of work in this article is completely different from
construction (which I can personally attest to), those differences are
mostly irrelevant to this discussion.

It's about attitude and work ethic. This is why the whole $15 minimum
wage thing is such a joke. The people asking for it are too stupid to
realize that if their employee starts paying $15/hr., most of them will
be out of a job because the higher pay will attract workers with better
attitudes and work ethic.

If some guy busting his ass all day working landscaping in the brutal
heat figures out he can go work a cash register in air conditioning for
the same or better money, that's one replaced fast food worker who
likely doesn't have the kind of attitude nor work ethic it takes to bust
your butt doing landscaping.

But that's a tangent and we never go off on tangents in here. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--