Posted to alt.home.repair
Diesel Diesel is offline

Default Door Bell Not Working

PJA m
Sat, 10 Jun 2017 23:44:02 GMT in
alt.home.repair, wrote:

replying to rjbe2003, PJA wrote:
The door push button activating the electronic chimes requires a
diode across it's terminals. If it doesn't work, reverse the
house wires OR reverse the diode wires (not both). There is no
simpler method of determining which way is correct.

It sounds like the chimes are expecting DC voltage, then. If that's the
case, Don't they have a positive and/or negative connection listed on
them someplace? If one of the two wires going to it has a color code of
somekind (say, a red line on it), one could designate that the plus or
minus one and wire to the switch accordingly. Obviously taking care to
place the diode on the proper wire so it can provide primitive DC
voltage to the electronic circuitry.

I haven't installed that many chimes, but, the ones I have installed
that were of the electronic variety had a plus and minus symbol on
their terminals. Some of them actually had the diode already with them
and it was okay to wire them to a standard ac output transformer. I've
only seen two of them that didn't, and, expected you to provide DC
power to run them. hence the diode...

So I made sure that when I ran the bell wire, I made note of which
color was to be which polarity. YMMV.

--
Dislexics of the world, UNTIE!