Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Is there A New Thing That can Interfere With My WIFI ?

On Tue, 13 Jun 2017 15:03:28 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

"Do you have U-Verse (IPDSL) service? "

Nope, just simple DSL and a land line which doesn't even have long distance, we use cellphones for that.

Fine. Throw everything out and start over.

Buy a DSL modem (not router) that supports ADSL2+. I like Netgear
DM111PSPv2:
https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/dsl-modems-routers/DM111PSP.aspx
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=DM111PSP+v2
Make sure you get the PSPv2 mutation, not v1 or earlier models. Say
goodbye to about $20 total.

Then go shopping for a wireless router that actually works. Lots to
choose from. I suggest Asus RT-AC66U.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=RT-AC66U
You probably don't need 802.11ac support. However, there's a problem
with the RT-N66U, which does everything except 802.11ac. It
overheats. I got it to work by mounting it vertically (it comes with
a plastic stand for vertical mounting) but would prefer to pay a few
dollars more so I can mount is anywhere. Say goodbye to about $70.

If you're cheap and or like to complain some more, I've been using
Linksys EA-2700 routers. They do everything right except that the
wireless range is not so great. However, they're cheap:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=linksys+ea2700
at about $20 total.

Be sure to upgrade the firmware to the latest in both boxes before
complaining again on this newsgroup. The time you save will probably
be mine. If you decide to go this route, I have some other
suggestions and comments.

Please remember that RF is magic and that if you're not a magician,
you don't stand a chance.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558