Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default Component Damage

On 6/13/2017 5:02 PM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 14/06/2017 9:43 AM, Dave Platt wrote:
In article ,
Trevor Wilson wrote:

The one caveat I would add about blasting boards with (clean)
compressed
air is that you *gotta* do it outdoors for all sorts of reasons I can't
be assed to go into here.

**And yet another good reason to use a vac.

In particular: I'd be cautious about using compressed air to clean out
electronic equipment that's been stored in sheds, barns, or other
locations where there might be rodent activity. I've seen some pretty
grotty equipment donated to our ham club, which I thought might well
have been peed or pooped upon by rats and/or mice.

Hantavirus is no joke.

**I confess that I had not thought of that, but certainly, spreading any
dust around can be injurious to many people.

A vacuum, particularly one with a HEPA filter, would be safer than
compressed air (either indoors or outdoors).

**Of course. And MUCH safer for the equipment.

How do you get the cat hair out of the CPU heat sink underneath the fan?