Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default PING -MIKE-

On 6/13/17 9:57 AM, wrote:
Mike (or anyone with experience in this matter!), they finally got
the stackable Ridgid tool boxes in at our local stores. They have
the 3 box/cart kit as you described for $99. So far, so good.

I went and looked at them and they will fill the bill nicely.

NO ONE at the store can answer this, so I am hoping you can. I want
to be able to lock the boxes together so they are secured and can't
come apart. I know there is a "lock bar" that hold them together,
but I can't find out if the kit comes with it. I want to be able to
roll that to a client's house with the tools, and if I will be
working there a few days, roll it into their garage, all locked up
to keep the prying hands out.

I am compartmentalizing as much as possible these days and carrying
a lot of crap around in tool bags. A pretty good solution, but not
lockable, and in fact too easy to get into. They seem to create a
lot of interest. So a lockable solution seems to me to be the
ticket.

So the big question (before they sell out again in San Antonio) is

Do the kit come with the "lock bar" to secure all three boxes
together in the cart or not?

Thanks for putting me on to these.

Robert

Short answer: yes.

Long answer, the locking bar comes attached to the bottom, dolly tool
box. It slides into a channel on the lid, which BTW, can come loose and
be a bit of a PITA when not using it. So check a few different boxes
and get the one that holds the bar the tightest.

You cam see the bar in the pictures on the HD site, and see how it locks
in a couple seconds of the video. Each box has a latch for a padlock
and then you can padlock the bar, holding the 3 boxes together.

Obviously, this will only keep an honest man, honest, and not stop a
professional thief.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)