Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Has anyone ever seen a relay breakout board?

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
I am completely familiar with design fabrication and assembly of PC
boards (been doing it for around 40 years, ranging from stuff like
this to 16 layer high-speed digital), but I was REALLY looking for an
off-the-shelf solution. Y'know, go to www.xyz.abc.com and order part
number 123-456-789 $1.98 (a guy can dream, right?) for a pack of ten
sort of thing.

Also, I was thinking I could use individual .187" terminals crimped to
my wires. I just tried that, and the results aren't great. The pin
fits OK and makes a good connection, but the retention force of a
single pin is pretty weak (compared to 8 pins on a DPDT relay, it's
1/8 of the retention), so I'd be afraid that the individual wires
would fall out of the socket.

Maybe I will bang out a board, but it's yet another project I don't
really have time for. Or, I could just wire the damned thing (the ice
rink controller) up the old fashioned way and then worry about the
next project later.
================

I did search briefly for unpopulated relay base plates or plugs to
make adapter cables. You might have better luck with a newer OS than
my XP and a faster connection. Usually I already know what I'm looking
for, such as "ice cube relay" or "Fashoda incident", and get a good
hit on the first page.

I couldn't find a picture of the old double-ended male fastons with a
center screw hole in my junk bins. They were meant as grounding
junctions. I also have a few L-shaped male fastons with mounting holes
in the second leg, that can be bolted to drilled insulating sheets.
These are from the 70's and may no longer be available.
-jsw