Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default You May Now Officially Hate My Son - Table Saw Find

On 6/11/2017 10:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, June 11, 2017 at 9:09:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 12 Jun 2017 00:59:03 GMT, Puckdropper

...snip...

I hate the birds-mouth push sticks. I consider them unreasonably
dangerous. Try this: Take a pencil or an ink pen and push down on the
edge of a domino at a 45 degree angle (Like a birds mouth stick). (Or
anything relatively the hardness and general shape of a piece of wood.)
Notice what happens? The opposite end lifts, which would be the part of
the wood on the upward bound teeth. Don't give kickback a place to
start--use a shoe.

We've had this discussion before, here in SED. ;-) I prefer push
sticks because my hands *never* go behind the front edge of the blade
when it's spinning. If kickback is going to be a risk, I use
featherboards.

Maybe I'm confused. I use this "push stick" by Kreg. I called that a shoe
style, not a bird's mouth.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kreg-Multip...-Stick/3116273

That said, the Kreg Push Stick does require your hand to go beyond the
front of the blade.

Is Kreg using the wrong name for it's device?

(...and yes, I removed the magnet.)

I made a similar shaped push stick/shoe but the handle is place back
more. I just copied the outline of a hand saw handle. In any case, I
find it easier to use than the bird mouth style.