Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Has anyone ever seen a relay breakout board?

On Friday, June 9, 2017 at 4:00:52 PM UTC-4, rangerssuck wrote:
I'm working on interfacing a PLC to an existing machine that's full of relays. I got to thinking that it would be a real time saver if I had a relay breakout board of sorts. What I'm picturing is a relay base (in this case an 8 pin rectangular that plugs into an 11 pin socket) that breaks out into screw terminals.

The effect would be like piggybacking another socket on top of the original. That would allow pre-wiring a lot of stuff and minimizing downtime, as well as making the modifications easily reversible.

So, does such a device exist?

Further to the discussion, back in the day, I used to use devices like this https://goo.gl/AcrMwL in my test fixtures. This was a "socket saver" meant to protect the socket from repeated insertions and retractions, while providing convenient points to probe the connections.

Something like that with the correct socket configuration and larger tabs with screw terminals or even just plain tabs to accept .250" faston connectors would be great. Would even need the second set of socket receptacles, though that would be a bonus.

Perhaps the tabs wouldn't have to come out of the periphery, the could just be .250 (or probably easier, .187) faston tabs where the socket receptacles would be. Sort of a male-male relay adapter.