Posted to alt.home.repair
HerHusband HerHusband is offline

Default Galvanized pipe too short for tub spout

You should be able to use a hack saw to cut off the wall end of a
replacement spout to make it short enough to work with the current
nipple. Then use a bead of caulk to fill whatever gap remains. This
isn't rocket science, just basic handyman stuff.

It's not hard to do, but it's difficult to do well.

The spouts are made of a thin metal, covered with a thinner layer of chrome
plating. Making a straight cut on the odd shaped spout would hard enough,
and the plating would most likely chip where it was cut.

I think the adapter Uncle shared the link too will accomplish what I need.

Anthony