Posted to rec.woodworking
Keith nuttle Keith nuttle is offline

Default You May Now Officially Hate My Son - Table Saw Find

On 6/11/2017 8:34 PM, wrote:
On Sun, 11 Jun 2017 18:44:16 -0400, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

In article ,
says...

My son just bought this Rigid TS3650 on Let-Go for $120. Las Vegas area.
Barely used.

http://i.imgur.com/OuDW4ED.jpg

He is just getting into woodworking and doing a pretty good job so far.
He's asked me how to do a few things and more than once I told him that
it would be easy if he had a TS. Well, now he does.

I told him that a TS can be one of the most versatile tool in his shop, but
you gotta respect it and know how it can hurt you. I talked to him about doing
some research before he starts using it.

I want to send him some safety accessories. Push sticks, push pads, feather
boards, etc. Does anyone know of a good accessory kit that comes with
the basics to help get him started working safely?

I looked on Amazon and there's a Shop Fox kit, but it doesn't look very
impressive. I may have to piece one together. Suggestions are welcome.

I have that same model of saw. The high point of Ridgid's table saw
production in IMO and that of many others.

First, I don't see the guard, splitter, or miter gage--please tell me he
got them.

That said, the safety bits that come as kits are in general pretty cheesy.

Featherboards, go with Kreg. https://www.amazon.com/Kreg-PRS3010-True-
FLEX-Featherboard-Single/dp/B000VRNJS2

I use the JessEm feather boards. They're very similar to the Kregs
but have an extra set of adjustments. I bought them before Kreg
copied them. ;-) The JessEm feather boards are about the same price
as the Kregs. They also have, or at least had, a double set (two
feather boards, side-by-side).

http://www.jessem.com/paralign-feather-boards.html

I used to use a set of home-made featherboards that I clamped down. I
tried several brands of store-bought ones and rolling my own design before
I finally got a Kreg that are so far a happy camper--seems that some others
didn't have quite enough range of movement--whenever I went to make a cut
they seemed to come up a little short--the Kreg will go past the blade a
little on that saw. They won't work on the fence--the slot is too low for
anything I know of to work.

I made a taller sub-fence with a T-Slot, so I could use the feather
boards on my fence.

Pushblocks I can't advise--a set came with my jointer and they're still the
duty blocks. I suspect they're the cheapest Delta could find. I have a
GRR-Ripper and it's _really_ nice but so expensive that I don't use it
unless I need one of its tricks. The GRR-Ripper folks have a cheaper model
now ("GRR-Rip Block") that doesn't do all the tricks but is considerably
nicer than the cheap ones--still may be more pricey than you want to go
though.

I have one of those too. I don't use it much. I'd sure use it for a
jointer, though.

My suggestion would be the Kreg featherboards, a set of cheap pushblocks
(unless you want to splurge on the GRR-Rip stuff), and make him one of the
bird-mouth sticks and whatever else you think he might need.

I have a variety of push sticks and blocks. I've pretty much settled
on a couple of them for 90% of what I do. It's kinda a personal
thing. He'll probably have to try stuff until he figures out what
works for him.

Here is a set somewhat like you are looking for. While I did not dig
thoroughly, I believe you can find the rest of the stuff here

http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...at=1,240,45884

--
2017: The year we lean to play the great game of Euchre