Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Consumer grade self-propelled lawn mowers, and review : )

trader_4 wrote:
I had a Honda harmony 215, it was the best and most expensive mower I owned. It was well built, quiet, and it left the best look on the lawn. It had a dual blade design which did an excellent job of mulching into tiny bits that disappeared. But it wasn't many years before the tranny went prematurely.

Apparently you weren't the only one; the following link may be of some
interest to you:
https://axleaddict.com/auto-repair/H...ssion-Problems

Replacing the transmission in my Troy-Bilt (860) was one of the more
complex mechanical problems I have tackled (but we learn from doing...).
I ended up using a hammer to get it off--if I did it again, I think I
might try a hack saw and/or a reciprocating saw to cut the axle (as well
as a hammer) to possibly simplify things. When they perform the
operation in videos there often isn't any rust on the axels! : ) The 2
Honda transmissions I have seen each appeared more robust than the
Troy-Bilt one I had--and that seems like the "weak spot" in a
consumer-level self-propelled mower.

Thanks for sharing and your interest in this topic (which seems to be no
match for political concerns in this group!) : )

Bill

It was $150 for the part and an unbelievable diassembly to put it in. I could get a Sears for $160, so that's what I did. It's lasted much longer, probably 2x the Honda. Only things it's needed were the end of the spring on the adjustable speed belt broke and the wheels wore out. The spring I secured with a zip tie. It also has more power than the Honda, but that only matters if the grass is too tall or wet. It makes a lot more noise and doesn't mulch as well or leave the grass with as smooth a cut.